8 May 2012

Afternoon Tea @ Garden Kitchen

When Paula posted a review of new Newcastle eatery Garden Kitchen I felt I just had to pop down and try it for myself.  I'd wandered past a few times but never really gave it too much attention, I was too focused on pretty baking tins from Lakeland to slow my pace.  Then, last week, while at work in the studio a customer came down for a photo shoot with his family, that customer just happened to be the head chef at said restaurant.  We got to chatting about afternoon tea and he mentioned that Garden Kitchen do an interesting twist on the concept, an afternoon picnic.  Well, that was the last straw, I had to try it out for myself.



When our food came the delicious treats were presented on the most adorable little picnic table, so damned adorable I may have made a ever so tiny squeak of delight.  Upon our little bench was a selection of delicious sandwiches including egg mayo (which I usually despise but I gobbled the lot) and bacon, cheese and tomato.  As tasty as the sandwiches were it was the sweet treats really stole the show for me. A tiny peppermint crème brûlée served in an espresso cup, a Pimms jelly, salted caramel chocolate pot and a banana and passionfruit eton mess served in a jam jar.  The only downside to this wonderfully presented picnic was the restaurant had run out of sugar syrup for the home made lemonade so Kris and I settled for tea, but that's certainly no hardship for me.

If you ever find yourself in Newcastle and are suffering from what I like to call shopping fatigue I urge you to try out the Garden Kitchen.  Recharge those batteries in style.

6 comments:

Angie said...

oh my god that is TOO cute and now I'm hungry!


x
Angie
sundaybelle.com

Elle R. said...

yummy!!! Everything looks SO delicious :D thanks for sharing!!

nancy said...

wow! this place sounds awesome! what a sweet idea!

Charlie said...

Oh wow that's the coolest thing I've seen in ages! Shame I live so far from Newcastle!

Becs @ Lay the table said...

Wow, this looks absolutely gorgeous! What a unique presentation. Who said that all the best stuff is in the south?

Becs @ Lay the table said...

Wow, this looks gorgeous! What unique presentation. Who said that all the best stuff is in the South?!