photo m

Pages

16 Sep 2010

National Cupcake Week: Amaretto Cupcakes

Morning world! It's Thursday and time for the fourth installment of my week of cupcakes!  Four down three to go :D

Todays cupcake is one of my very favorites, amaretto!  Isn't amaretto delicious? I just love ordering a saucy amaretto and coke in a fancy pub and delicately sipping upon the wee straw.  So, when I saw these cupcakes in the Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery book I just had to make them!


As it is a little bit dangerous for me to have a bottle of amaretto lying around the house I subbed the sweet liqueur for a tsp of almond extract and a squirt of amaretto syrup.  I also topped the unfrosted cakes with syrup as a little treat, lord I'm such a lush!

Amaretto Cupcakes:
(Recipe adapted from Primrose Cupcakes)

110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
300g caster sugar
2 large eggs, free-range or organic
125g self-raising flour, sifted
120g plain flour, sifted
125ml semi-skimmed milk, at room temperature
1 tsp amaretto liqueur or almond extract
1 good handful toasted slivered almonds or other decorations or flowers, to decorate

Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan) / 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tray with the appropriate size cupcake cases.

In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and 180g sugar until the mixture is pale and smooth, which should take 3-5 minutes using an electric hand mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing for a few minutes after each addition.

Combine the two flours in a separate bowl. Put the milk in a jug and add ½ tsp amaretto or almond extract. Add one-third of the flours to the creamed mixture and beat well. Pour in one-third of the milk and beat again. Repeat these steps until all the flour and the milk have been added. 

Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them to about two-thirds full. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until slightly raised and golden brown. To check they are cooked, insert a skewer in the centre of the one of the cakes - it should come out clean.

Meanwhile, combine the remaining caster sugar, 125ml water and the remaining amaretto liqueur or almond extract in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until the sugar melts completely (about 1 ½ minutes); stir to combine. Alternatively heat over a low heat in a saucepan.

Remove the cupcakes from the oven and leave in their tins for about 10 minutes before carefully placing on a wire rack. While they are still warm, dip the tops of the cupcakes into the syrup for a couple of seconds. Return to the wire rack to cool completely.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

10 comments:

Lucie said...

These are totally gorgeous! If only every week were cupcake week!

How To Be Perfect said...

I've made these before and remember being really happy with the recipe, local Amaretto it's like liquid candy x

Maria♥ said...

I'm not a fan of amaretto but your cupcakes as always look too cute!

Maria
x

Eliana said...

I think this is my favorite cupcake of the week. Like you I am dangerous around a bottle of amaretto. And I have to say, you are an expert frosting swirler :)

Cats_cupcakes said...

Mmmm these look good. Been wanting to try this recipe for ages as i love amaretto!

diaryofamadhausfrau.com said...

I love the idea of amaretto cupcakes. These look wonderful!

purplecupcakes said...

Oh my god, again I come upon and again such a gorgeous recipe. I recently bought some almon extract because I love the flavour(same goes for amaretto) and I've been looking everywhere for a cupcake recipe so thank youuuuu!xx

Tracey said...

I love amaretto too so these cupcakes sound out of this world!!

Jane Ko said...

Yumm, I love amaretto!

I would like to invite you to participate in my giveaway
http://atasteofkoko.blogspot.com/2010/08/mini-pistachio-tea-cakes-40.html

Dawn said...

I've just made these, using amaretto rather than the almond extract, I am in love with them!! They are delicious! ♥