photo m

Pages

26 Jul 2009

Sweet Melissa Sunday, Jam again

I still haven't eaten my way through the last batch of jam I made and here I am, making more. Not that I'm complaining, I love jam. It has so many delicious uses. Bake it into cupcakes, slather it on toast, dollop it in a huge bowl of steaming rice pudding or use it to fill cookies. Since I have a cupboard full of jam, I chose the latter as a way of using some of it up. I've never made linzer cookies before but darn it, it sure won't be the last time!


The jam was super easy to make, the apple provided a natural source of pectin so there was no need for preserving sugar, which I believe to be a little too sweet. The citrus provided such a lovely tang to balance the sweetness of the strawberries. Delicious! Thank you to Margot of Effort to Deliciousness for selecting this beautiful recipe and as always, check out the other SMS ladies for more jammy goodness.


Linzer Cookies:

225g unsalted butter , softened
150g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks , beaten
250g plain flour
110g ground almonds
raspberry jam, for spreading
icing sugar , to dust

Beat the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg yolks and mix thoroughly. Gradually add the flour and ground almonds. Lightly knead the mixture until it comes together in a ball. Wrap and chill for 1 hour.


Heat the oven to 170C/fan 150C/gas 5. Roll the dough out to the thickness of a £1 coin on a lightly floured surface and stamp out biscuits using a 6-7cm cutter. Reshape leftover dough into a ball, re-roll and cut out more biscuits. Stamp out a smaller circle from the middles of half the biscuits.


Put the biscuits on lined baking sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. You may need to do these in batches. Rest for a minute then transfer to a cooling rack. When completely cold, spread the whole biscuits with either jam. Dust the ring-shaped biscuits with icing sugar. Put a sugar-dusted ring on top of a jam-covered biscuit and press lightly together.


Oh, and I almost forgot to add. This is my first Sweet Melissa Sunday post as a graduate. Yup, I'm now Katie Deacon BA (hons). Hurrah, although I found the fact I graduated in gryffindor colours far more exciting than actually graduating! (also, please excuse my hair, it was raining awfully heavy on graduation day!)



 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

22 comments:

HanaĆ¢ said...

Love the bright red color of your jam. And the cookies look delicious. Absolutely love the shape of the cookies (like the pointy ends the petals). Don't think I've ever seen a cookie cutter that does that. Very pretty. Great job!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those cookies look so pretty! A delicious treat!

Yes, chubby kitties are wonderfully soft and so cuddly ;-P...

Cheers,

Rosa

junyl6 said...

I second the commendments on your shapely linzers, they're so pretty!! Where did you get the cookie cutters? I've only made scalloped doughnut shapes before and now they seem so boring, haha..

Congratulations of your graduation too!! Hope you're enjoying some well-earned freedom now!

Sarah said...

Your jam looks delicious, and I think those are the most beautiful linzer cookies I've ever seen!!! Congrats on graduating!

margot said...

Thanks for preserving with me this week, despite the surplus of jam in your cupboard. I had so much fun making preserves, I am going to have trouble resisting making more. Your preserves look great and those cookies are just darling. And a big congratulations on your graduation!

pinkstripes said...

Your preserves look yummy. I love the linzer cookies.

Heather said...

Super congrats on your graduation - and an Honours degree! Just love the jam and linzer cookies. SMS is very tempting - perhaps I will join.

Jaime said...

congrats!!

and your linzers are just stunning!!

Dharm said...

Congrats BA Hons!! Those cookies look just lovely!

Maria♥ said...

Congrats Katie!!

Those Linzer cookies are just beautiful.

Maria
x

Manggy said...

Congratulations on your degree Katie! :)

Flourchild said...

Those cookies look so good. Great idea! I didn't get to make this recipe but I still may get to it! Congrats on the graduation. You look splendid!

Dajana said...

The cookies are gorgeous looking, beautiful shape.
I always add apples and lemon or orange juice to strawberry jam, they give it such a great flavour.
Congratulations on your degree

Laura [What I Like] said...

What a wonderful shape for the cookie! Much better than the simple old round ones. And what is it about rain and graduation days! With the exception of high school, it has poured at every single graduation I've ever been in.

NQN said...

Aww just gorgeous! Your linzers are beautiful and you've inspired me to try and make my own as I have linzer cutter. And congratulations too! :D

hotovenwarmheart said...

Hi Katie,

My goodness, those cookies are just GORGEOUS! I made linzer cookies in the shape of hearts this past Valentine's Day and they were a big hit! I'm so glad you enjoyed them, and the delicious jam, as well. Mazel Tov (Congratulations) on your graduation- that's a wonderful accomplishment! Hope to talk to you again soon :)

-Joy

georgiaface said...

Katie. Bring me jam. Yes? I can't be bothered to clean my jars out and make more, so my idea is that you bring some of that lovely Katie jam to mine.

Now.

Chop Chop.

(Also, hurray for us Gryffindor girls!!)

Ingrid said...

Yay, congrats on the BA!

Your linzer cookies look perfect!
~ingrid

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I made linzers for the first time this year, and I agree they are a perfect use for surplus jam, or a good reason to make new jam. Love the way your preserves turned out.

Karin said...

I love your cookies- what a cute shape! And congratualtions on graduating.

Hayley said...

Awww what a lovely picture, congratulations!!! Your biscuits look delicious too :-D xxx

cat said...

beautiful linzers!

where did you get that cookie cutter? it's adorable!